Diocese of Anchialos
Author(s) : Kotzabassi Maria (22/2/2008)Translation : Panourgia Klio
For citation: Kotzabassi Maria, "Diocese of Anchialos",Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World, Black SeaURL: <http://www.ehw.gr/l.aspx?id=11881>
One of the most important dioceses of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in the Thrace and Bulgaria area. Apart from the town of Anchialos (Pomorie), under its jurisdiction were numerous villages and the large harbour of Pyrgos (Burgas). Greek education in the area was particularly developed.
Patriarchate of Constantinople
Northern Thrace, Eastern Rumelia
Bulgarian coast of the Black Sea
1. The beginnings of Christianity in Anchialos
2. The Diocese of Anchialos during the Byzantine period
3. The Diocese of Anchialos during the first centuries of Ottoman rule
4. The diocese of Anchialos during the 19th century. Ecclesiastical and educational activity.
5. Title and jurisdiction of the metropolitan of Anchialos
6. Scholars and artists from Anchialos
copyright © 2008, FOUNDATION OF THE HELLENIC WORLD
The project is co-funded from the European Union by 80% and from the Hellenic State by 20% through the Operational Programme Information Society.