Author(s) : Benlisoy Foti (6/6/2008)Translation : Tsokanis Anna
For citation: Benlisoy Foti, "Kuruçeşme",Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World, ConstantinopleURL: <http://www.ehw.gr/l.aspx?id=11403>
The Kuruçeşme district lies in the valley between cape Defterdar Burnu (Kleidion) and the Mega Revma (Arnavutköy) shore. In antiquity, this area was known as Bythias, due to the great depth of the waters there. In the 17th century, it was populated by Greek-Οrthodox and Armenians, as well as many notable Jewish families. In 1804 the Greek Orthodox College (known in Greek as the “Megali tou Genous Scholi”) was moved to Kuruçeşme and housed at the residence of Alexandros Mavrokordatos.
Bythias, Kalamos, Agios Dimitrios, Xirokrini
1. Location – Name
3. The Orthodox community of Kuruçeşme
copyright © 2008, FOUNDATION OF THE HELLENIC WORLD
The project is co-funded from the European Union by 80% and from the Hellenic State by 20% through the Operational Programme Information Society.